Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Gluten?
Gluten (from Latin gluten “glue”) is a protein composite that appears in foods processed from wheat and related species, including barley and rye. It gives elasticity to dough, helping it to rise and to keep its shape, and often giving the final product a chewy texture. Between 0.5 and 1.0 percent of people in the United States are sensitive to gluten due to celiac disease. Note that wheat allergy and celiac disease are different disorders.
2. What is Bread?
The dictionary gives this definition: “A stable food made from flour or meal mixed with other dry and liquid ingredients, usually combined with a leavening agent, and kneaded, shaped into loaves and baked.”
3. What is the Best Way to Keep Bread Fresh?
Ideally, bread should be stored at room temperature.
* Sliced and wrapped bread should always be kept in its wrapper. The ‘best before’ date will be displayed on the quick lock or wrapper.
* Bread is best stored in its original packaging, tightly closed with a quick lock or twist tie. Stored this way, most bread will keep fresh for a few days at room temperature. In warm humid areas, where mold growth is a problem, it may be best to freeze the bread and defrost slices as needed.
* Wrapped bread may be kept in a freezer for up to three months.
Avoid storing bread in a refrigerator. The average temperature of most domestic refrigerators is about 5°C. This is the temperature at which bread stales most quickly. One day in the refrigerator is equivalent to three days at room temperature.
The freezer is the ideal place to store bread for keeping beyond its ‘best before’ date.
Wrapped bread will keep for up to three months in the freezer. Defrosting a loaf at room temperature can take a few hours.
Source: the Federation of Bakers
4. What if I have a Question about Allergen Labeling on one of your Foods?
We declare common allergies on our nutritional labels according to food industry regulations. Should you have a specific Allergen question, please call us on our Customer Care line at: 0861 333 409.
5. What hygiene practices do Sunshine Bakery employ within the Bakery to ensure the healthy and clean production of bread?
Following a recent enquiry from one of our loyal customers, Sunshine Bakery is happy to elaborate on the Hygiene practices we employ within our Bakery, which mean we comply with the strict standards set for the industry. We appreciate the enquiry and welcome such communication from our customers.